Wednesday, August 5

Cedele - Pink Beet Cake

After reading a couple of posts of Cedele cakes at another food blog, I've decided to try a them for myself. I have to say, I've never been a fan of Cedele cakes, they just seem too healthy for me. Cakes for me are an indulgence, they are for celebrating, for making the eater feel happy, how do they do that if they are made into healthier, skinnier versions?

I had their famous Carrot Cake before and wasn't impressed so I settled for their new Pink Beet Cake. Essentially the cakes is supposed to have Beetroot in it which causes it to be pinkish. This might be true but I doubt the beet content is high since the cake is extremely palatable. I probably should also note that the information card mentions that the cake contains Grapeseed Oil.

The cake itself looks a bit like a carrot cake but with beetroot shavings instead of carrot. Tastewise, its slightly sweet abit savory, overall very easy on the tastebuds, I've never had Beetroot just like that before (ie, not in mixed juice or soup form) so I cant say there isn't any Beetroot tast but I have heard that pure Beetroot juice is hard to stomache so I think there's very little of the stuff in the cake.

The most surprising thing about the cake is how soft and moist it is! This is probably the work of the Grapeseed Oil. One can finish the cake without feeling overwhelmed but then again, it is a small cake to begin with, lol.. Despite the healthy conotations, the cake is still a bit rich, with cream cheese layered so I do wonder exactly how healthy it is and whether Cedele is really worth all the hype.. Moreover, as I got the cake in takeaway form, I discovered that the cake is quite 'oily' the wax paper the waitress placed under the cake was pretty oily when I got back, about an hour later.

Nevertheless, I think the case is definitely worth a try but for the price, $5, for such a small cake, I doubt Ill be getting it again anytime soon. I still like my cake to be rich and heavy, something to savour, something to be had once in a while, an indulgence, a mini love affair..

No comments: